Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Scott 2.0, MeetUp.com 2.0


Social Networking: Where The Internet Comes Down From The Clouds

When I moved to NYC summer of 2005, one of the people I got to know was Scott. "Man, meeting you is like meeting a movie star!" I was a Deaniac from 2004, and MeetUp.com was all the rage. We clicked just like that, became friends. He invited me over to come see him at his office. I complimented on the color red. My cultural background is primary colors and loud voices. Americans wear drab and talk soft.

I came to NYC to cultivate my business idea but got sucked into the democracy movement in Nepal, best work I ever did. I mean, when your house is on fire, you don't go cultivate a business. But as of past week, I am back. And the place I started was at MeetUp.com. The first event listed was one I had started: NYC Aspiring Entrepreneurs. Someone Jessica was running it now. She turned out to be Jessica Mah, 16. I visited her blog when I went back home. She was complaining how she thought she ought to be made Organizer of the Month but her being 16 was being used against her.

When I met Scott today, I put in word for her. He wrote her name down. And he gets to read this blog entry also. She runs a terrific large group. And she is a Scott in the making herself. I think you are going to hear more of her. She is an entrepreneur. She has it. She dreams of creating "the eBay of services." Way to go.



At Jessica's MeetUp I met Ed, a veteran who has worked for companies like IBM, real tall guy, West Indies background, that accent. He might help me find investors, he said.

And Scott's NY Tech Meetup. This thing has gone so big. Watching the presentations felt like being in a movie theater. It was like having a front seat into the future of the web. The internet started out as a poster. Then it became a little more interactive. Today's slew of presentations blew me away. The interactions are going to a whole new level. Graphic, intuitive stuff are coming along.

Video Of The MeetUp Tonight
This event was covered on CNNMoney.com
Video Of The Event

The first guy allowed you to insert comments into a video clip. One guy Mark, who sat next to me at the exclusive dinner after the event at a Tibetan place (Momo anyone? I am addicted to momo from my days in Kathmandu, I had two servings), allowed you to connect the dots and make pictures, that which you did as a kid on paper. Mind blowing. And he is just doing it on the side, no business plan yet, he talked like he just had to get it out of his system. Another was offering vertical silos of high quality videos. You just can't get that on YouTube. Say you are into snowboarding, you perhaps want many clips of a particular move, high quality ones.

There is never going to be enough of two things on the web: content and search. The possibilities are as limitless as the human mind.

I wish there were a place at the Tech MeetUp page where you could find the links to all the websites that get presented. Mark, add your link in the comments section please. I did not have a pen on me.

http://www.diversionmedia.com
http://www.associatedcontent.com
http://www.daylife.com

The most mindblowing presentation was DayLife. It was out of this world. I got a glimpse of search the way it should be. The human mind does not think in terms of lists of links. It thinks the way of the DayLife presentation.

CEO Upendra. He was at the dinner. MIT guy. Came out of school in 1994. Sold his Firefly to Microsoft. Microsoft Passport is his thing. So Bill Gates bought Hotmail from Sabeer Bhatia and Passport from Upendra, what does he offer of his own? How smart is Bill Gates really? Powerful, yes, but smart? Maybe he started out smart, and just got powerful.

His namesake - Upendra Mahato in Moscow - is the richest Nepali on earth. Mahato just invested into my startup yesterday, a symbolic gesture. I have been flying high since. I emailed a pitch also to this local, Indian Upendra after I got back home. He speaks in the measured tones of someone who grew up in America, as he did.

Vineet Gupta also at DayLife. He is a UP guy. That state in India is like a galaxy. It is such a huge population and the politics is so rumbunctious.

Tips for Scott. MeetUp.com still has this huge edge on social networking sites that exist only online. Noone emphasizes facetime like MeetUp.com. But add more features in the "add friends" section so exchanging business cards becomes a thing of the past. I guess you "steal" more and more select features from places like MySpace and Facebook. Sorry if I sounded fuzzy. In short, MeetUp.com should compete on both facetime and screentime, and not just on facetime, which it already has an edge on.

Got to meet Scott's girlfriend Emily who works at the UN. Small world, go figure. Emily and I figured we both know someone in common, Julie! Julie has made documentaries on Nepal.

And there was this 13 year old daughter of an Assistant Organizer. She is the one who I gave my $5 for the event to. She was at the gate collecting. I kept reminding her about that - the money part - at dinner. "You are the one who took away my money!"

About 500 people at the MeetUp, 10 at the dinner afterwards. Thanks Scott for inviting.

And I am slated to go to this MeetUp Thursday morning: The New York Open Coffee Meetup. Others go to work, I go to a MeetUp. I am hungry for investors right now. Nicholas was the first to sign. I was number two. He just launched this MeetUp.

Parting ways for the evening, I exclaimed to Upendra, "I don't have the slightest clue where I am at right now!" He gave me gentle directions to the Union Square station.

In The News

How to Leave Past Relationships in the PastAssociated Content
Mexico City explores wireless Internet 2:29AM EST BusinessWeek

Visitors

43.31 March09:08Microsoft Corporation, United States
44.31 March09:09Microsoft Corporation, United States


1 April23:05ISP/NSP of Nepal, Nepal
2 April00:03Detalee Trade, Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
7.2 April02:40NAMCHE, Kathmandu, Seti, Nepal
9.2 April06:52Webplus, Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg City, Russia
2 April14:59The World Bank Group, Washington, District of Columbia, United States
2 April17:34Comcast Cable, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
2 April17:42NTL Internet, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
2 April21:10Google, Mountain View, California, United States
2 April22:21Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
3 April00:00Verizon Internet Services, Tampa, Florida, United States
3 April11:30New Wave Communications, Somerset, Kentucky, United States
3 April19:02University of Wisconsin-Parkside, Kenosha, Wisconsin, United States
4 April00:19Speedlinq netblocks, Den Haag, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands, The






Kanak Mani Dixit, Rhoderick Chalmers Event: Julie

Links

http://www.veotag.com
http://www.picturedots.com
Guy Kawasaki interview with Steve Wozniak
http://www.helloworld.com
http://www.collegewikis.com
http://flickrcash.com
http://www.snowvision.com
http://universe.daylife.com
www.npost.com


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to meet you tonight. The connect the dots site is www.picturedots.com
- Mark

Naveen said...

Bill Gates is a great man.You can have a virtual tour to his house at Bill Gates House

Anonymous said...

Pleasure to meet you Paramendra, and thanks for the kind words. You're up to some cool stuff as well! (And for the record, BillG is actually crazy smart. And as world-changing Microsoft was, I suspect/hope his foundation will end up being his greatest achievement..)

Anonymous said...

Upendra.

I am with you on the Gates Foundation stuff. I have written somewhere that he were 10 times richer so he could have more money to put into his Foundation.

:-)